Sunday, October 6, 2013

Recognition & Acceptance






Writing is a liberating act in itself and it gives a great sense of gratification once you finish penning down whatever that strikes your mind. Thanks to the world of blog that I am able to add wings to my dream. Back in school days, as we flipped through the pages of Wren and Martin for  our dosage on Grammar and Composition, I would spend long hours contemplating whether  I would ever be able to get over the Precis and Letter Writing! The language always met high standards and we always had to resort to a Thesaurus and Dictionary. Since Precis Writing had more to do with a manual counting of the number of words in the passage given, (given that there were no computers for us to automatically count the number of words; unlike now, wherein as I type out I have the luxury of checking the number of words I have utilised, it is now at 159), I used to wonder that the passage in itself is long and the length of the passage is mostly justified as I always thought no words had to be eliminated as they suited the passage best! Today, I read through the book at leisure, with a great sense of pride,  thanks to the rigorous exercises that we were given then, they are absolutely rewarding. The lessons from the good old Wren and Martin come alive when I sit down for penning down something. The concepts taught back then have been cemented firmly that their application comes naturally.
Anyway, today, is a day, that I am happy about, and is really worth a mention, off the chapters of my life. It has been my childhood dream of writing a piece for South India’s largest selling national daily, The Hindu. Today, 6th Oct 2013, saw this dream coming true. Thanks to the humble Editor at the offices of The Hindu, he considered my article, print-worthy. I cannot contain my excitement, it feels fabulous to have my name fully printed against a few words that I had penned! I had taken to Scrap Booking since 2012, and have been collecting all articles of my interest from The Hindu. Now, I have an addition to my collection, my very own! I had got two copies of the newspaper today, one for my scrapbook and one for any relative or friend whom I could share the article with, although I have the option of going online for the link. The bottom of the article had the words, “the writer’s email id is...” This gives me a great sense of acceptance and recognition; which is why I chose to write about writing!

My blog is a personal virtual forum where I can rant about anything I want, I always check for the number of page views, although the number is meager. The most rewarding moment after writing is, to feel accepted and recognized. Comments both virtual and real are motivating and are a driving force that keep the spark kindled in me. This also calls for more responsibility of course, after all, writing is a process and not a conclusive act. While having the article you have written published in a newspaper is an achievement of sorts, blogging is a liberating experience, because it gives me the freedom of voicing out anything I want, just anything, with no targets to meet! This day, 6th Oct’13 has made me feel accepted and recognized as a writer, and has brought in an adrenaline rush, whilst I usher into the world as a ‘writer.’


No comments:

Post a Comment